Problem Solving Through Deeper Self-Awareness
Ideas to think through before raising an issue:
- Your experience:
Describe the situation /circumstance /relationship?
- How does the (situation /circumstance / relationship) make you feel?
- How does it affect your performance / behaviour?
- What thoughts does it evoke?
- How does it influence your relationship with the other players in this situation?
- What does all of the above lead you to conclude?
- How does your conclusion affect your relationship with the other players in particular?
- How in general does it affect your relationship with the group that those people represent (family, friendship circle, firm, club etc)?
- Your aspiration:
- How would you prefer to be feeling in such a circumstance or relationship?
- What values would need to be honoured for you to be able to host such feelings?
- How would you prefer to be performing /behaving?
- What approach in your thinking would you prefer to be taking?
- What would you prefer your attitude towards the relationship/person/firm to be?
- What would need to be different or change for the above to become a reality?
- Potential solutions:
- What would you like or would be helpful for others to know about you and your experience that might change their approach to you or the management in the situations?
- What could you do to give them the necessary knowledge / awareness or understanding?
- How could your manager bring out the best in you?
- What stands in the way of this happening?
- How are you participating in this circumstance?
- Creative Options?
- What other options for participation do you have that could bring meaningful change to the relationship or circumstance?
- How could you and the other people involved in this circumstance make the shift from describing the problem or complaining about it to solutioning the problem?
- Might giving the benefit of the doubt help as a starting point?
- Could the situation be managed in a way that keeps it safe, preserves the self esteem of all involved and creates a win-win for everybody?
- How would that be done?